Dr. Peter Fraenkel, PhD
On the Eve of Destruction: Last Chance Couples Therapy
Friday April 5, 2019 from 12-1:30pm (EST)
To Register: Click Here
Description of this webinar:
A badly broken marriage (or its equivalent unmarried relationship), in which both partners show high levels of mutual anger and disdain and low levels of patience, good will, or hope, and in which one or both partners may not even really want things to get better, doesn’t seem to hold promise for clinical salvation. It’s possible, however, to turn even the most hopeless marriages around. In this workshop, we’ll explore how to engage reluctant partners in therapy without making them feel trapped in an unhappy future. You’ll learn how to:
- restore hope when couples seem about to give up
- carry out an engaging and nonthreatening first session that doesn’t chase the ambivalent partner away
- reduce the sense of “emotional emergency”
- introduce fresh perspectives on problems and engage clients in trying changes that they’re absolutely unprepared for and that feel irrational to do – “experiments in possibility”
- use rituals and metaphors to resolve old hurts and repair ruptures so that the past can truly be left behind
- offer strategies for promoting positive communication about problems
- engage couples in low-risk activities that restart passion and pleasure
Although we’ll focus on four major types of Last Chance Couples, the approach applies to couples at any level of distress.
Peter Fraenkel, Ph.D., is Associate Professor of Clinical Psychology at The City College of New York; a faculty member of the Ackerman Institute for the Family, where he directed the Center for Work and Family; Clinical Assistant Professor at NYU Medical School, where he directed the PREP program for couples; and is in private practice in New York City. He received AFTA’s 2012 award for Innovative Contribution to Family Therapy for his work in the area of time and couples, integrative approaches to couple therapy, and resilience-strengthening programs for homeless families. Dr. Fraenkel is the author of the forthcoming book, Last Chance Couple Therapy: Bringing Partners Back from the Brink(Routledge, expected 2019); Sync Your Relationship, Save Your Marriage: Four Steps to Getting Back on Track(2011, Palgrave-Macmillan), co-author of The Relational Trauma of Incest: A Family-Based Approach to Treatment(2001, Guilford Press), and author of numerous other publications. He is an Advisory Editor for the journal Family Process, a Contributing Editor for The Psychotherapy Networker, and past Vice President of AFTA. Dr. Fraenkel lectures nationally and internationally, and has been widely featured as an expert about couples and families in the popular press, TV, radio, and online.